Friday, January 17, 2020

Top Ten Most Anticipated Movies of 2020

2020 is here and with it comes a brand new bunch of hopefully great movies. The following are my top ten most anticipated movies of 2020. This does not necessarily mean that I think all of these will be great. There are movies that I’m aware of that could easily be higher in quality than some of the ones on this list. But these are the ones that I’m most interest in seeing. Without further ado, let’s get into this.

10) Mulan

The Disney remake of the animated classic of the same title. Normally I’m completely against the idea of Disney remakes. I think that they have a propensity to be soulless cash-grabs with no purpose for existing. This however, looks interesting. Disney made the (I hope) wise choice of abandoning the shot-for-shot remake strategy and instead will create something new and different that’s also more culturally authentic. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

9)

The prequel to the two movies of The Kingsmen franchise. I like the Kingsmen franchise. I liked The Golden Circle even though everyone else hates it evidently. I like World War I (like, not actually like it. Wars are bad. But I like it in concept. Like as an idea. I’ll shut up.). Kingsmen movies are just plain fun okay? I’m not going to try to justify this. This is my guilty pleasure movie.

8)

A horror X-Men movie about a bunch of mutants in a mental hospital. Wow. This movie has had a troubled production history. I’m honestly less excited for this movie and more just curious as to how well it survived the process. I am still excited to see it. An X-Men horror movie sounds amazing and I’m honestly surprised they haven’t done it yet. Although it is PG13, which is disappointing, but I still think that at the very least this will be an interesting viewing experience.

7) Dune

The brand new adaptation of the 1965 classic of the same title. I thought the book was pretty cool, and I’ve never seen the 1984 movie, but I’m very intrigued to see where this movie goes. We’ve got the director of Blade Runner: 2049 and Arrival along with an amazing cast with the likes of Jason Momoa, Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Rebecca Furgeson, Oscar Isaac and Stellan Skarsgard. Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

6) Free Guy

One day a bank manager realizes that he’s an NPC in a video game. So, full disclosure... this might suck. But, if it doesn’t... GUYS, this’ll be a crap ton of fun. Yeah, this is my guilty pleasure part II, but who cares? I’m a sucker for Ryan Reynolds... and also Taika Waititi... and Joe Kerry and Lil Rel Howery. This better be good.

5) The Invisible Man

A woman escapes her abusive boyfriend only to find that he’s following and torturing her because he’s found a way to turn invisible. So remember that terrible movie a couple years ago called The Mummy? So this is what came out of that and hopefully it will be worth it. No blockbustery Dark Universe with big CGI monsters which was what that dumpster fire movie wanted to do. But awesome psychological horror. So can this movie please do well? I would absolutely love a psychological horror franchise.

4) Next Goal Wins

It’s a soccer sports comedy directed by Taika Waititi. That’s like all I know about it but that’s enough to get me on board. Also Michael Fassbender is pretty cool.

3) Morbius

When Michael Morbius tries to cure himself of his rare blood disease he inadvertently turns himself into a vampire. I don’t know why this made it so high on my list but the trailer just enraptured me. If you haven’t seen it, watch it, it’s crazy. I don’t know, it just looks fun and creepy and awesome and maybe even scary at some points. Also Matt Smith is involved and he can do no wrong.

2) Last Night In Soho

I don’t know anything about this movie other than that it is: a) directed by Edgar Wright and he’s awesome b) a psychological horror movie, which is fantastic, and c) Matt Smith is involved and he can do no wrong. I feel like that’s all the reason I need to show up for this.

1) Tenet

Christopher Nolan’s next film with some timey-wimey stuff mixed in. Could it be anything else? Christopher Nolan is, without a doubt, the best director in the industry right now and he’s the only one that can pull together a several million dollar budget for some crazy film that has absolutely nothing to do with any sort of pre-existing franchise. The cast has the likes of John David Washington, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh and Robert Pattinson. It seems to be in the vein of Inception which is my all time favorite movie. This is going to be awesome and easily one of the best movies of this upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Great Episode 1 Review - Lives Up To Its Name

The Great is a new Hulu original about the rise of one of Russia’s more famous rulers, Catherine the Great. And before the concept of watchi...